Sunday 6 July 2014


Seek and you shall find


Before the new project commenced, I pray to God that it’s a new project and hope I will just get a chance to run the project. I make a bold move and tell my boss that I wanted to be in that project. It’s the 1st time that I had the boldness to request for something in my career. I am not a career minded person .  I wouldn’t be able to do it without you , Father. Amen.




6 months down the road, the project started and I got a position in the new team . It was very taxing at 1st. I regretted a bit for having volunteered but I persevered. 3 months later, my boss asked me to head the team. I was very happy but at the same time afraid as I was unsure whether  I am able to deal with all the situations at work.



  


My colleagues now become my subordinates and it’s rather awkward at times when I need to manage them. It was especially hard with the older staff who had worked here longer than me and I was quite close to him as he was sort of a mentor to me initially. He would not take people talking down to him even if they were his supervisors . My bosses who were his ex- supervisors feedback to me before they passed him to me. They had many clashes with him especially during appraisals which escalated to the union.   I was therefore very concerned on how to manage this relationship. They tried to teach me how to manage him but I had my doubts about their method . I thought a soft approach would be more suitable for a stubborn staff . There were some clashes during the subsequent appraisals when I took over but by God’s grace , it was never escalated to the union. I was also very touched that during one of the appraisals , he shared that he felt that there’s a change in the management style and for the 1st time,he felt that the team was like one big family.


 When I subsequently decided to move on from that job, I was touched that my female staff told me that she was very touched by the things I’ve done for her. How I tried to fight with management for her to work flexi hours due to family commitments. She didn’t want to stay too cos she don’t have confidence in the new boss but she had confidence in me. 


 As a new manager, I am amazed at how I managed to learn management with no formal training . I thank God for his grace and wisdom. I have more confidence in being a leader now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment